The EEC is seeking student leaders to support community visioning for the future of K-12 education.
The Equity in Education Coalition is the only statewide civil rights organization focused on revolutionizing education so that a student’s race and zip code aren’t the predicting factors in defining their success.
As our organization has been researching educational finance and how it ties to educational equity and justice, we keep coming back to the same hurdle: What is the vision of our public education in Washington state? To help answer that question, we launched a K-12 Education Visioning Project. This community-led project has a goal to create a plan to ensure the education system in Washington State is amply funded and works for each and every student.
We are seeking up to 10 student advisors to support this work. As a student advisor, your role would be to:
- Participate in monthly student advisory committee meetings as well as monthly full-group visioning meetings. Participation can look like this:
- sharing your expertise and lived experience in the K-12 education system; and
- providing insight as to the viability of proposals, questions, and comments from the rest of the group.
Additionally, five student advisors will serve as leads – meaning they will sit on the project’s steering committee and co-chair other topic-focused subcommittees.
Details & Desired Qualifications
- Pay will be $25 per hour for up to 5 hours per month (all advisors) with an additional 5 hours per month (lead advisors).
- The project will be funded for 18-24 months starting in September 2023.
To be considered, you must:
- believe in creating an anti-racist and amply-funded education system;
- have attended a school in the K-12 education system in Washington state;
- be between the ages of 16-25; and
- be able to dedicate 5-10 hours per month to meetings and other work.
Email a resume and letter of interest to Logan Endres, Senior Policy Manager at email@example.com by no later than August 18, 2023. Your letter of interest should respond to all the following prompts:
- Who are you and what is your experience in the education system?
- Why do you want to support EEC’s K-12 Education Community Vision Project?
- What would the K-12 education system look and feel like in a world where anything is possible?